Veering Through Vietnam

Friday, April 14, 2006

Off to Vietnam Tomorrow

Greetings from an internet cafe in Tokyo.

Another year, another bike tour. After thinking that I was going to go to Iran this spring to finish my Silk Road tour at last, visa woes and expensive plane tickets conspired to thwart the plan. (That, exacerbated by my chronic disorganization this winter.) So it's time for Plan B, going to Vietnam, a country I haven't been to yet (it will be number 66 on the list when I get there on Sunday). I haven't planned my trip out very well yet, and I feel very underprepared compared to usual. I just bought the Lonely Planet Vietnam guide today, and I don't have a map yet.

My basic plan is to fly into Hanoi, spend a bit of time in the limestone cliffed islets of Ha Long Bay, then ride around the mountains north of Hanoi before heading down the coast on the infamous Highway 1 (a longtime Hanoi resident told me today that I was taking my life into my own hands by riding on it) to Hue and Hoi An, ducking into the Central Highlands for some hills and cooler weather and finally ending up in the urban madness of Saigon. If I have time, I will nip into southern Laos for a brief visit, and finish up on Phu Quoc Island, allegedly the most beautiful island in the world.

Stay posted for updates, pictures and maps of the route!

Peace and Tailwinds

Graydon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home